The department of computer science was established on december 31, 2009 by decision 2082/QD-DHCT of the rector with 11 teaching staff:
- A/Prof.Dr. Pham Nguyen Khang - Vice Dean
- Dr. Tran Nguyen Minh Thu - Head of the Department
- Dr. Le Quyet Thang
- MSc. Pham Xuan Hien
- MSc. Pham Nguyen Hoang
- Dr. LUU Tien Dao
- MSc. Le Thi Phuong Dung
- Msc. Nguyen Ba Diep
- Msc. Vo Tri Thuc
- Dr. Tran Viet Chau - Deputy Head of the Department
- MSc. Tran Nguyen Duong Chi
The Department has the following main tasks:
1. Training:Engineers who specialized in the field of Computer Science with the following qualities:
- Acquiring the basic principles of Marxism – Leninism, the revolutionary approach of Vietnam Communist Party, Ho Chi Minh Ideology; basic knowledge in the field of Social Science and temporary issues.
- Being capable of employing scientific knowledge, particularly mathematics.
- Gaining effective communication skills (in both native language and the English language, equivalent to TOEIC 350).
- Developing self-study skills and cultivating a long-life learning attitudes.
- Acquiring an appropriate attitude to the impact of technology on these aspects of economics, society, and environment on a global scale.
- Being capable of working in specialized and multi-discipline groups.
- Gaining specialized knowledge and work ethics.
- Being able to collect data and expert knowledge, analyze and explain the data, expert knowledge by models and solve current problems based on the models.
- Being able to applying the knowledge and technology to develop expert systems in the field of decision support, diagnosis, prediction and adoption.
- Being able to apply the knowledge and technology to develop knowledge discovery systems and evaluate the discovered knowledge in building decision support systems, diagnosis, prediction and adaption.
- Being able to simulate systems and build simulation systems on computer.The Department takes over a number of courses like: Distributed Mathematics, Linear Programming, Computing Method, Simulation, Queing Theory, Information Theory, Computer Graphics, Image Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Knowledge Fundamentals, Intelligent Systems, Natural Language Processing, Compiler, Computer Vision, Research Method and Presentation.Involving in post-graduate training: Advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Random Dynamic Programming.
2. Scientific and Teaching Research:
After proposing a plan for the establishment of the Department, since the year 2000 the Dean board and lecturers in charge have made great effort to promote human resource training and scientific activities, which helps to lay a good foundation for the Department. The result is 3 groups of young and competent teaching staff whose fields of study include Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Image and Multi-media data Searching, and Modeling and Simulation.
Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining research group focuses mainly on data mining algorithms:
- Decision tree
- Support Vector Machine
- Ensemble-based methods: Bagging, Boosting, and Random Forest.
- Data clustering and pretopology approach.
- Multi-dimensional data presentation
- Dimensionality-Reduction Method
- Large-scale data processing: incremental algorithms, parallel and distributed algorithms.
- Image and text processing.
- Information visualization
The group who conducts the research on Information Retrieval studying algorithms like:
- Image displaying with Bag-of-words model / Scale-invariant feature transform
- Dimensionality-reduction with correspondence analysis
- Image retrieval: excentric labeling, zoom/pan, interaction, hierarchy
- Cross-media (textual and visual data) alignment
- Clustering: Expectation Maximization, simulated annealing
- Incremental and parallel algorithmThe focus of the group studying Modelling and Simulation are:
- Multi-agent based modelling.
- GAMA ( GIS & Agent-based Modelling Architecture)
- Epidemic speculation for shrimps and fishResearch activities conducted by the Deaprtment have resulted in deserving outcomes. First on the list was the publications published on scientific journals, conference proceedings at home and overseas, whose abstracts can be accessed at link
Figure 1. Publications
The staff also actively take part on conference organization and screening boards for sientific papers: Vis-EGC 2005-2010, DMIN2008-2010, ASMDA 2005-2010, AKDM 2009, RNTI 2005-2010, Pattern Recognition 2008, Journal of Experimental Algorithmics 2009, ICTFIT 2008-2010, ICTACS 2010, CIE39 2009, ACIIDS 2010, QIMIE2009-2011.
In additon, the Dapartment have been cooperating with universities and institutes worldwide such as IRISA/INRIA-Rennes, INRIA-Paris11, Polytech’Nantes, L3I-Larochelle, Telecom-Bretagne, ERIC-Lyon2, IRD-Paris 6, UCL Belgim, IFAG Germany, UQAM Canada, IFI Ha Noi.
We are very pleased to establish partnerships with all universities and institutions with the motto “Cooperation for mutual development”.